Friday, May 06, 2005

my fight with DM

JOURNAL ENTRY
So...
I got into a bit of a spat with DM. My second in as many weeks. The first was relatively harmless. And kind of confusing, actually.
Someone had asked me for a plastic bag so I reached into the filing cabinet at my desk that I stuff full of plastic bags. I use them to bring my frozen water bottles to work, saving my briefcase'y bag thing from being ruined by condensation on the bottles. (quick aside: California recycles plastic bags, New York, as far as I've been able to research, does not yet do so. This pisses me off to no end - recycling nazi that I can be. Sooo... I save them, here at work. Partly because I cant bring myself to throw them away, partly because I'm hoping I'll eventually run across a recycling service that'll take them and partly because I really want to leave a ... parting gift.. let's say... when I leave this Purgatorian way station) - Back to the story: Someone asks for a bag, I open my bag drawer, everybody sees bags, everybody comments on bags, everybody then STOPS commenting on bags, DM does NOT stop commenting on bags, DM continues to comment on bags, DM thinks she is sooo F'n funny commenting on bags, DM does not know that I DO like being joked with but do NOT like being ridiculed in a condescending manner, DM is about to feel my wrath, DM keeps commenting on bags.
Me: You know, I keep them here so when I quit this oh-so fulfilling job.. and all you suckers are still working here, -years- from now, YOU can clean them out of the cabinet.
Her: owwwkay. if you say so.
Me: (I lighten up a bit) that, and I hate that NY doesn't recycle them
Her: yeah, I guess not... you should collect more
Me: (ok. I HEAVY up a bit) maybe I will. maybe I'll start putting them all on your desk. Maybe your five cats would like to play with them.
......... it continued back & forth for a few more jabs but nothing of consequence.
....... ........ it's a battle of will's with nothing serious to argue about. She needs to be right or have the upper hand and at this point, I dont want to give it to her as a matter of principle, even though I dont at all know what we're arguing about. or IF we're arguing.

The second run in happened yesterday:
DM: "kory... what's this?"
me: "what's what?"
her: "this email"
me: "what email?"
her: "this email YOU SENT"
me: "which email I sent?"
her: "this Eee - M A I L" (she says all slow, like how stupid people talk to blind people)
me: "yeah, SORRY, i dont know WHAT you're talking about"
her: "pssh"
- ... so i go over & look. Turns out, she was cc:'d on a RESPONSE from someone else regarding an email i had sent THEM, not her. she then kept talking to me like a child (a lot more than the above, for a lot longer, you'd really need to hear her inflection to know) & i just shut her down, saying:
me: I'm sorry I cant do everyone's job for them. (in this case, extra research and a repeated summary of what's already detailed in the email)
her: I - wasn't - asking - you - to - do - anyone's - job - for - me.
me: well... you WERE, actually. you want me to go through an entire issue addressed to someone else - For You, as a quick summary, when it's all detailed in that email right there.
her: [silence, ..then..] unintelligible-passive/agressive grumble, grumble, grumble
me: if you say so
her: that's TWICE, Kory (meaning our two run-in's)
me: [silence]
her: you know that, right?
me: [silence]
her: unintelligible-passive/agressive grumble, grumble, grumble
me: [silence]

what's funny is, if you've worked with me or know me at all, you'll know it's a fact that i'll do about 10 times more than I'm supposed to for nice people... I just will. without question. without wanting anything in return down the road. I will, however, go out of my way to make more work for not nice people. why? because it's sooo damn fun to. This would be Judge Kory doling out small samples of justice and revenge on the imbicilic dullards who do not play nice. It's the little things in life.
I still really like DM, believe it or not. Well.. maybe "am highly amused by" is more accurate than "like". I like her sass, the feisty spirit & how she somehow manages to run an overly disfunctional family. I realized with the above two spats though, that while she speaks to -everyone- like that, that I ... umm... do not respond so well to be talked to like that. And by "do not respond" I mean "prepare for battle to the death". proverbially speaking, of course.

No comments: