Thursday, March 10, 2005

snow/ice, DavidCross, zombies, nutella, the Gates

JOURNAL / BLOG ENTRY
A few things about things:
+ I haven't written for a while.
+ We had another great blizzard on Monday. a total white-out. At least I think it was a white out. It was white ... out. that makes it a white-out, I think. I was in heaven, everyone else was in hell. chilly hell. Honestly, there were moments that even -I- did not enjoy it. Mostly those moments centered around ultra-miniature icicles slamming into my face and eyeballs at 55 miles per hour.
+ I slipped and fell on the ice. finally. My first time this season. In front of a girl I was on a date with, even! Wow, that was awesome. To make it even better, I spilled a full glass of wine all over myself. "All" over, you ask? yes. "all". Actually, it was pretty hilarious. I really dont think I got a single drop anywhere except on my jacket and pants. It turns out that the snowfall on my roof melts slightly during the day then freezes at night. If it were thicker, we'd have a rooftop ice rink.
+ David Cross' cd made me cry laughing last night. I dare you not to do the same listening to it.
+ I've recently come to terms with the fact that I love zombie movies. A lot. They're hilarious, they're not at all scary, they're entertaining and they're formulaic to a T. In the past year I've seen (in order of awesomeness): Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake of the 1978 classic), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 - if you only see one of the above, see Shaun of the Dead - it is abso-f'n-lutely hilarious.
+ I bought a sandwich press. And I am pressing sandwiches like nobody's business. Savory, sweet - whatever. It can make two sandwiches at a time, it presses them, sealing the edges and crosssecting them into little triangle sandwiches. I wont even describe the savory ones 'cause I make them so often and with widely varying ingredients (usually involving at least: carmelized onion, roasted red pepper, one type of white cheese (mozzerella, parmesan, feta, gruyere, etc)) but the sweet ones... or sweet ONE I should say is... hold on, I just started drooling (see next item)
+ I have discovered Nutella. Not 'discovered' like Marie Curie and her experiments with radiation... more like .. Christopher Columbus 'discovery' of a land already inhabitted by a race of people. Except that I wont be claiming Nutella for Spain. I -will- be claiming Nutella to be delicious. Because it is. And a curious thing has happened... I had previously never really understood people's fascination with chocolate. I could always take it or leave it (usually leaving it) and never understood that mental "click" that happens, that starry-eyed, eyes-rolling-back-in-your-head kind of tasty-goodness-pleasure that I've experienced with, say... a perfectly ripe kiwi or a great piece of dehydrated mango, where they hit all the right buttons in your mouth and send you into a moment of exctasy. Nutella pressed sandwiches are now added to the list. I put a half of a banana, sliced thin in between the two Nutella'd pieces of bread and press the sandwich for 5-6 minutes but banana isn't necessary to get the Nutella-goodness. Nutella, where have you been all my life?
+ The Gates were pretty cool. I guess. Mostly, it was a spectacle of artsy-fartsy artists with too much money getting to do what they want, where they want. Which in a strange way, I kind of respect. And in another very real way, I dont respect. Like when I was walking through Central Park and I saw the "Christos" (even though it's Christo (M) and Jean-Claude (F)) driving around the park, waving at people like they were the friggin' King and Queen. I overheard the red-haired-freaky-lady say that they'd driven the full 23 miles of curtains 26 times. That's 26 laps of ego-stroking. Sadly, I could not flip them off in time and they drove away, very much un-flipped off.

No comments: