Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sumac Skirt Steak with Pomegranate Reduction

BLOG ENTRY
I'll admit I'm including this here more for me so I dont lose the recipe than for any of you (though I of course encourage you to make it also). To me and my taste buds, there aren't any more intensely-Iranian flavors than sumac and pomegranates. I was so gung-ho to track down this recipe that I went into a bookstore near my work this morning, found the magazine and sat there text typing it into my phone (yes, like a total dork). Borrowed without permission (but made world famous by me, here!) from Gourmet Magazine:

Sumac Skirt Steak with Pomegranate Reduction
2 cups pomegranate juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon lemon
1 tablespoon sumac
2 pounds skirt steak
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons shallots
1/4 cup tawny port

bring pomegranate juice, lemon, sugar, 1 tablespoon butter and ¼ teaspoon salt to boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer 20-30 minutes until liquid has reduced by one third. preheat broiler. mix sumac, pepper and remaining salt together. In a baking pan, lay skirt steaks and sprinkle sumac mixture on top. let sit for 10 minutes to absorb. broil 3-4 inches from flame, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and let meat sit for 10 minutes. Bring 2 tablespoon butter to a foam, adding shallots then the port. Add any meat juices from the meat plate and simmer. Whisk in the pomegranate reduction.

No comments: