Friday, July 14, 2006

headbutts are the new "Whateverrr!"

JOURNAL ENTRY
≈≈≈≈≈Ahh, the world cup... the best thing about the world cup finale yesterday (wherein French player Zidane headbutted a player, got himself red-carded and essentially lost the World Cup for France)?
FACT: Every non-french-person who knows or runs across a french person will bring up 'the game'. This, in turn, will make the french person try to explain and apologize for (almost surely in a somewhat-understandably passive-agressive way) the Zidane headbutt that more or less cost the French team the game. As an all-too-frequent explainer-of-all-things-Iranian-whenever-Iran-is-in-the-news, I give this headbutt-inspired phenomenon a rating of: DELICIOUS!
≈≈≈≈≈ on NPR this morning, I heard the following quote: "ze Italians knew zat ze only way zey could ween was if zey toook out ouwr best plaiy-ere, so zey cheat and made Zidan ang-ery and now Italy wons ze game! sacre-bleu!!!" - ok, he didn't say sacre-bleu but I swear I heard a human being with an actual human brain say the rest of that quote.
≈≈≈≈≈ meanwhile, French Prez Jacques Chirac said "Dear Zinedine, in such a hard and intense moment for you, I would like to express the whole nation's affection and admiration for you. You are a virtuoso, a genius of football and an exceptional human being. That is why France admires you." - I swear. I'm not makin' any of this stuff up. Zidane is not a reactionary thug, silly people! he's a hero! these are real quotes! Chirac went on to exclaim "Sacre Bleu!". ok, no he didnt.
≈≈≈≈≈ update: God ordained Zidane to headbutt (in the name of the Lord): "My act is not forgivable," Zidane said. "But they must also punish the true guilty party, and the guilty party is the one who provokes." ... "I tell myself that if things happened this way, it's because somewhere up there it was decided that way ... And I don't regret anything that happened, I accept it." God was then heard to say "Sacre bleu! you frickin' humans! will you ever take responsibility for your own actions?! I swear to.. ...myself (Nooo Jesus, dont give me that look - I wasn't gonna say your name, lighten up)"

≈≈≈≈≈ Is it just me or has the world completely accepted open acts of retribution?
(Oh. right. Israel / Palestine)
There's no turn-the-other-cheek anymore, no I'm-better-than-responding-to-your-taunt, no if-I-descend-to-your-level-I'm-just-as-bad-as-you. We openly support those who take matters into their own hands, proclaiming them heroes. Granted, this is coming from someone who advocates the use of the Raider Shoulder as social educator but I thought world opinion was a little more.. pacifist... "Vengeance is mine, sayeth.. ahh heck, whoever wants to! Go for it... Sacre Bleu!"

Mugatu: Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
from Zoolander

No comments: